I didn’t get the ground broken up and ready to plant, but I’m well on my way. I couldn’t get the tiller cranked, so I’m taking it in for service on Monday. I’m sure the good folks at Best Nursery won’t take long to get it serviced and I’ll back in business. I got the drip irrigation system broken down and ready to reinstall. That part went well. I also get most of the scrubby stuff burned off and all the big stuff pulled out of the ground. I’ve knocked the vines off the rabbit fence and have decided to pull new wire on the electric deer fence. I didn’t install the tensioners correctly when I ran the wire last year and so I’m going to re-do it this season.
The actually tilling of the ground won’t take too long, so I should have it done in time to plant by the first weekend in April. I’m so glad to get most of this behind me! The sheer manual labor part of it was not something I was looking forward to, but now that most of the hard stuff is behind me I’m feeling pretty good. I had a bitch of a time last year keeping the weeds down, so I’m going to try covering everything that doesn’t have a plant sticking out of it with sheets of newspaper. I’ll keep adding sheets until I have all the weeks choked out. I’ll let you know how that goes.
I’m not sure what I’ll plant this year, but I’m looking forward to going to Capps and picking up some plants and seeds. I’m looking forward to seeing something green popping out of the ground. The garden is soon to be a reality!