I just got home this afternoon from spending the early part of the weekend with my brother, Eric, at his hunting lease south of Albany, Ga. I went by The Medical Center lab on Thursday morning to get my blood work done and then headed out of town to see Eric. On the way down there I got a call from Dr. Michael Morse’s physician’s assistent, Cindy Simonson. She said, “Mike, your creatinine is still at 2.3. Dr. Morse is saying no to any further HD-IL2 therapy. So, you’re on hold for coming back on Sunday and I’ll let you know what comes next.”
So, I decided to go see my brother and do what we do best….laugh. I have laughed my guts out all weekend long and I haven’t given cancer a single thought. So, we’re not going to Duke tomorrow and I don’t have a single idea what is going to happen next. I’m sure we’ll be bringing in a nephrologist for consultation. And, I’m sure I’ll be talking to Dr. Pippas, Dr. George and Dr. Morse about next options. I guess they’ll scan me anyway to see if the first half of the HD-IL2 therapy, though abbreviated, did me any good.
I really hope the creatinine is going to settle back down. If it doesn’t, we’ve really got some tough ground ahead. Not being able to use contract media for scans might just be the most scary change we’ll have to make. If I can’t stand the contrast, all of my future scans won’t be worth much. They’ll be trying to manage a scary disease with blinders on. I don’t know the answers to any of these questions at this point. I’m just speculating and I won’t know the score until we have some of these medical consultations.
Sorry for the short post. I wanted to bring everyone up to speed and I want to go talk to my wife. I’ve missed her.